اوستورالیا شهرلرینین لیستی
- ۱ Australian Capital Territory
- ۲ New South Wales
- ۳ Northern Territory
- ۴ Queensland
- ۵ South Australia
- ۶ Tasmania
- ۷ Victoria
- ۸ Western Australia
- ۹ بیرده باخ
- ۱۰ قایناقلار
- ۱۱ ائشیک باغلانتیلار
Since 1993, only local government areas in New South Wales can be declared as "cities" by the Government, under the Local Government Act 1993. Although the present version of the Act specifies no criteria for city status, a previous version of the Act specified that to be a city, a Council area must:
- (a) have a population of at least 25,000 persons and be an independent centre of population; not being a suburb, whether residential, industrial, commercial or maritime, of any other council area or centre of population; or
- (b) have a population of at least 150,000, and have a distinct character and entity as a centre of population beyond what would normally be regarded as being of local or suburban significance only; or
- (c) satisfy the criteria specified in paragraphs (a) or (b) apart from the population criteria, and be a homogenous centre of importance as a focus of regional commercial, governmental or cultural activity beyond that which would normally be regarded as local, suburban, or subsidiary to another nearby centre.
New South Wales, therefore, has two types of "city": cities that are acknowledged on the register of the Geographical Names Board of New South Wales, and local government areas that have been proclaimed as cities but are not acknowledged on the Geographical Names Register.
Cities acknowledged on the NSW Geographical Names Register[دَییشدیر]
* - City within the Sydney metropolitan area
Cities not acknowledged on the NSW Geographical Names Register[دَییشدیر]
This list includes local government areas inside the Sydney metropolitan area but excludes cities also acknowledged on the Geographical Names Register.
* - LGA within the Sydney metropolitan area
* - LGA within the Brisbane metropolitan area.
Other towns or suburban areas whose local government was accorded City status (including those since amalgamated) include:
- Hobart (State capital), which consists of the conurbation of the City of Clarence, City of Hobart, and the City of Glenorchy
* - City within the Melbourne metropolitan area
* - City within the Perth metropolitan area
Local government areas with city status not listed above, all of which lie within Perth's metropolitan area, include:
- Local Government Act 1993, Chapter 9 - "How are Councils Established?". Accessed via AUSTLII on 26 April 2007.
- Robert Harrison MLA, Private Members' Statement: Proposed Shellharbour City, New South Wales Legislative Assembly, Hansard, 23 November 1995, p. 3960. Accessed 26 April 2007.
- Garry West MLA, Questions on Notice: Hastings Council Name Change, New South Wales Legislative Assembly, Hansard, 19 November 1993, pp. 6008-9. Accessed 26 April 2007.
- Geographical Names Register Extract: List of placenames acknowledged as a CITY (.CSV). Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. یوْخلانیلیب31 August 2008.
- History of Griffith. Griffith City Council. یوْخلانیلیب19 August 2008.
- Map of cities of Australia
- A Gazetteer of Australian Cities, Towns and Suburbs (Monash University)
- Detailed map of cities of Australia